Mr Francisco de Paula Ruiz Estévez founded the School in 1886, and eleven years later it passed into the capable hands of Mr José María Rey Repetto. Since then, the school has been managed by members of different generations of the Rey family who have ensured the preservation of its foundational and values.
During this long and fruitful trajectory, more than 18,000 students have studied in the classrooms of the Colegio de San Francisco de Paula, where they learned the principles of respect and hard work, key hallmarks of an education project that is open to the world and the coexistence of different ideas.
It is the only private school in Seville that has kept its original location in the historic centre of the city. Our school was the first, and only one at the time, to refuse government subsidies and among the first to welcome female students in the 1930s. It is also traditionally the first, or among the first in Seville regarding academic results.
In a nutshell, the School’s history is an effort to preserve and harmonise its foundational values – conveyed in the motto “respect and hard work” – combined with a continuous effort towards modernisation and improvement and, when possible, innovation and foresight. This is vividly reflected throughout the different stages of the school’s history and meticulously gathered in the book “Recuerdos en torno a un patio” (Memories around a schoolyard), which you can download in PDF by clicking on the link on the left.
Recuerdos en torno a un patio